- At the British Academy Film Awards, Oppenheimer wins Best Film and six other awards, including Best Actor for Cillian Murphy (pictured).
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny dies in a corrective labor colony near Kharp, at the age of 47.
- In American football, the Kansas City Chiefs defeat the San Francisco 49ers to win the Super Bowl.
- In association football, the Africa Cup of Nations concludes with Ivory Coast defeating Nigeria in the final.
- Alexander Stubb is elected President of Finland.
|In the news toolbox
"In the news" mentions and links to entries of timely interest – encyclopedia articles that have been updated to reflect an important current event – rather than conventional news items. To prevent vandalism on the Main Page, it is a permanently protected template. See Wikipedia:In the news for more details.
See an error? Please note it on Wikipedia:Main Page/Errors for administrator assistance.
The template accepts one parameter: adding
|nocurrenteventslink=1 removes the link to Portal:Current events. This is used on the current events page to hide the link there.
Admins: After updating please purge the cache of the Main Page so that the updated version appears.
In terms of Main Page balance, right now we're configured for widescreen monitors, which it appears most editors use. Non-widescreen users, please do not change the balance even if it looks off on your monitor.